|Address||EHU/UPV, Department of Logic and Philosophy of Science, Avenida de Tolosa 70, 20080 Donostia – San Sebastián|
Throughout the last ten years, I have received an education both in philosophy and in the theoretical fundamentals of life sciences. My research areas cover different issues such as the epistemological foundations of neuroscience, the theoretical problems underlying evolutionary and cell biology, the intellectual, economic, and technological challenges posed medical research and practice (notably cancer research and treatment).
My PhD thesis, supervised by Prof. Alvaro Moreno (EHU/UPV) and Dr. Leonardo Bich /EHU/UPV), aims at studying the structural and functional aspects of the physiological integration of a cell. To accomplish this objective, the eukaryogenesis and the similarities/differences between prokaryotic and eukaryotic life forms are examined in detail.
Academic research interests
- Philosophy of Biology
- Philosophy of Medicine
- Philosophy of Neuroscience
- Key topics in Philosophy of Science
Education and qualifications
2016-2020: PhD in Theoretical Biology, University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU). Title thesis: “Structural and organizational conditions for the appearance of functional integration in the transition from prokaryotic to eukaryotic cell”.
2013-2016: MA with honors in Philosophy and Forms of Knowledge, University of Pisa. Title thesis: “From local to systemic functions: how systemic functions arise through the interaction of local functions in biological systems”.
2010-2013: BA with honors in Philosophy, University of Pisa. Title thesis: “The constitution of the perceptual object in Husserlian phenomenology and neurobiology”.
2005-2010: High School Diploma: Liceo Classico G. Garibaldi, Palermo (Italy). Final grade: 98/100.
EMPLOY AND TRAINEESHIPS
- 01/03/2018-present: Researcher and assistant professor at the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU) (predoctoral fellowship PIF 17/31).
- 25/03/2020-08/05/2020: Teaching activity in the course “Philosophy of Science II” at the UPV/EHU.
- 01/04/2018-31/07/2018: Visiting fellow at the Institut d’Histoire et de Philosophies de Sciences et des Techniques (IHPST) (Paris, France).
- 01/04/2014-01/10/2014: Visiting student (Erasmus program) at the University Johannes Gutenberg Universitat (Mainz, Germany).
- 03/02/2020: Discussant at the workshop « Personalized Medicine: A Multidisciplinary Approach to Complexity », Campus BioMedico, Rome (Italy).
- 11-14/09/2019: Talk at the international conference “European Philosophy of Science Association (EPSA) 2019”, Geneva, Switzerland. Title: “Structural and organizational conditions for being a machine”.
- 12/07/2019: Talk at the international conference “International Society for History, Philosophy, and Social Studies of Biology (ISHPSSB) 2019”, Oslo, Norwegian. Title: “Structural and organizational conditions for being a machine”.
- 26/06/2019: Talk at the workshop « Bridging the Philosophies of Chemistry and Biology », Université Paris Diderot, Paris (France). Title: “Structural and organizational conditions for being a machine”.
- 13-16/11/2018: Talk at the international conference of the “Society of Logic and Philosophy of Science in Spain (SLMFCE) 2018”, UNED, Madrid (Spain). Title: “Structural and Organisational Conditions for Machine-Likeness”.
- 21/06/2018: Talk at the international conference “East European Network for Philosophy of Science (EENPS) 2018”, Comenius University, Bratislava (Slovakian Republic). Title: “Functional Integration in the Endosymbiotic Origin of Mitochondria”.
- 04/05/2018: Talk at the workshop “Philosophy and Cognitive Science (PBCS) 8”, Complutense University, Madrid (Spain). Title: “Functional Integration in the Endosymbiotic Origin of Mitochondria”.
- 09/03/2018: Talk at the workshop « Graduate Workshop on Philosophy of Science », UPV/EHU et UNED, San Sebastián (Spagne). Title: “« Functional Integration in the Endosymbiotic Origin of Mitochondria”.
- 21/11/2017: Talk at the workshop “Third Bordeaux-San Sebastian workshop in philosophy of biology”, Guetary (France). Title: “Functional integration in the endosymbiotic origin of mitochondria”.
- 22/09/2017: Talk at the conference “Rencontres doctorales internationales en Philosophie des Sciences (RDIPS) 2017”, University of Grenoble, Grenoble (France). Title: “Functional integration in the endosymbiotic origin of mitochondria: an organizational approach”.
ORGANIZATION OF PUBLIC EVENTS
- 2019: Project manager of the symposium “The Machine Metaphor in Nanobiology: Molecular Motors” at the “International Society for History, Philosophy, and Social Studies of Biology (ISHPSSB) 2019”, Oslo (Norwegian)
- 2019: Project manager of the conference “Philosophy of Biology and Cognitive Sciences (PBCS) 9”, UPV/EHU, San Sebastian (Spain).
- 2018: Project manager of the conference “Rencontres doctorales internationales en Philosophie des Sciences (RDIPS) 2018”, University Paris Diderot, Paris (France).
- Militello G, Bertolaso M (2020) The complexity of tumor heterogeneity: limitations and challenges of the pharmacogenomics in cancer treatment. In M. Bertolaso and C. Beneduce (eds.), “Personalized Medicine in the Making Philosophical Perspectives from Biology to Healthcare”. Springer. Forthcoming.
- Militello G, Bich L, Moreno A (2020) Functional integration and individuality in prokaryotic collective organisations. Acta Biotheoretica. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10441-020-09390-z
- Militello G (2019) Motility Control of Symbionts and Organelles by the Eukaryotic Cell: The Handling of the Motile Capacity of Individual Parts Forges a Collective Biological Identity. Frontiers in Psychology 10:2080. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2019.02080.
- Militello G, Moreno A (2018) Structural and organizational conditions for being a machine. Biology and Philosophy 33:35 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10539-018-9645-z.