|Position||PhD in Theoretical Biology|
Throughout the last ten years, I have received an education both in philosophy and in biology. My research areas cover different issues such as the epistemological foundations of neuroscience, the theoretical problems underlying evolutionary and cell biology, the intellectual, economic, and technological challenges posed by medical research and practice (notably cancer research and treatment).
My PhD thesis, supervised by Prof. Alvaro Moreno (EHU/UPV) and Dr. Leonardo Bich /EHU/UPV), deals with the structural and functional aspects of the physiological integration of a cell. To accomplish this objective, the eukaryogenesis and the similarities/differences between prokaryotic and eukaryotic life forms are examined in detail.
Academic research interests
Cell and Evolutionary Biology
- Theoretical Biology
- Conceptual Issues in Clinical Research
- Conceptual issues in Bioengineering and Biotechnology
- Philosophy of Biology and Philosophy of Science
2016-2020: PhD with honours in Theoretical Biology, University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU). Title thesis: “Structural and Organisational Conditions for the Appearance of a Functionally Integrated Organisation in the Transition from Prokaryotic to Eukaryotic Cell”.
2013-2016: MA with honours in Philosophy of Science, University of Pisa. Title thesis: “From Local to Systemic Functions: Exploring how Systemic Properties Emerge from the Interaction of Local Mechanisms in the Cardiovascular System”.
2010-2013: BA with honours in Philosophy, University of Pisa. Title thesis: “The Constitution of the Perceptual Object in Husserl’s Phenomenology and in Neurobiology”.
2005-2010: High School Diploma: Liceo Classico G. Garibaldi, Palermo (Italy). Final grade: 98/100.
- 01/03/2018-12/02/2021: Graduate Research Fellow at the UPV/EHU
- 25/03/2020-08/05/2020: Assistant Professor at the UPV/EHU.
- 01/04/2018-31/07/2018: Invited Researcher at the Institut d’Histoire et de Philosophies de Sciences et des Techniques (IHPST, Paris, France).
- 01/04/2014-01/10/2014: Erasmus student at the University Johannes Gutenberg Universitat (Mainz, Germany).
- 03/02/2020: Discussant at the workshop « Personalized Medicine: A Multidisciplinary Approach to Complexity », Campus BioMedico, Rome (Italy).
- 11-14/09/2019: Talk at the international conference “European Philosophy of Science Association (EPSA) 2019”, Geneva, Switzerland. Title: “Structural and organizational conditions for being a machine”.
- 12/07/2019: Talk at the international conference “International Society for History, Philosophy, and Social Studies of Biology (ISHPSSB) 2019”, Oslo, Norwegian. Title: “Structural and organizational conditions for being a machine”.
- 26/06/2019: Talk at the workshop « Bridging the Philosophies of Chemistry and Biology », Université Paris Diderot, Paris (France). Title: “Structural and organizational conditions for being a machine”.
- 13-16/11/2018: Talk at the international conference of the “Society of Logic and Philosophy of Science in Spain (SLMFCE) 2018”, UNED, Madrid (Spain). Title: “Structural and Organisational Conditions for Machine-Likeness”.
- 21/06/2018: Talk at the international conference “East European Network for Philosophy of Science (EENPS) 2018”, Comenius University, Bratislava (Slovakian Republic). Title: “Functional Integration in the Endosymbiotic Origin of Mitochondria”.
- 04/05/2018: Talk at the workshop “Philosophy and Cognitive Science (PBCS) 8”, Complutense University, Madrid (Spain). Title: “Functional Integration in the Endosymbiotic Origin of Mitochondria”.
- 09/03/2018: Talk at the workshop « Graduate Workshop on Philosophy of Science », UPV/EHU et UNED, San Sebastián (Spagne). Title: “« Functional Integration in the Endosymbiotic Origin of Mitochondria”.
- 21/11/2017: Talk at the workshop “Third Bordeaux-San Sebastian workshop in philosophy of biology”, Guetary (France). Title: “Functional integration in the endosymbiotic origin of mitochondria”.
- 22/09/2017: Talk at the conference “Rencontres doctorales internationales en Philosophie des Sciences (RDIPS) 2017”, University of Grenoble, Grenoble (France). Title: “Functional integration in the endosymbiotic origin of mitochondria: an organizational approach”.
ORGANIZATION OF SCIENTIFIC EVENTS
- 2019: Project manager of the symposium “The Machine Metaphor in Nanobiology: Molecular Motors” at the “International Society for History, Philosophy, and Social Studies of Biology (ISHPSSB) 2019”, Oslo (Norwegian)
- 2019: Project manager of the conference “Philosophy of Biology and Cognitive Sciences (PBCS) 9”, UPV/EHU, San Sebastian (Spain).
- 2018: Project manager of the conference “Rencontres doctorales internationales en Philosophie des Sciences (RDIPS) 2018”, University Paris Diderot, Paris (France).
- Militello G, Bertolaso M (2020) The complexity of tumor heterogeneity: limitations and challenges of the pharmacogenomics in cancer treatment. In M. Bertolaso and C. Beneduce (eds.), “Personalized Medicine in the Making Philosophical Perspectives from Biology to Healthcare”. Springer. Forthcoming.
- Militello G, Bich L, Moreno A (2020) Functional integration and individuality in prokaryotic collective organisations. Acta Biotheoretica. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10441-020-09390-z
- Militello G (2019) Motility Control of Symbionts and Organelles by the Eukaryotic Cell: The Handling of the Motile Capacity of Individual Parts Forges a Collective Biological Identity. Frontiers in Psychology 10:2080. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2019.02080.
- Militello G, Moreno A (2018) Structural and organizational conditions for being a machine. Biology and Philosophy 33:35 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10539-018-9645-z.